The VP of Development is responsible for overseeing and managing the timelines, budgets, resources, delegation, and success of all development projects that flow through SimonCRE. The VP leads and manages the Development team, including Directors (if any), Project Managers, and all other team members of the Development subgroup within the Devcon Department.
Essential Duties – Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions:
Project Profitability and Delivery:
- Collaborate with the VP of Construction from inception of projects to ensure accurate and achievable budgeting and scheduling.
- Ensure the company meets or beats project delivery dates while staying at or under budget.
- Maintain effective communication with internal team members, architects, and engineers to proactively address any potential changes that could impact budgets and schedules.
- Communicate schedule or profitability concerns to the CEO.
- Oversee the teams that manage all project budgets, and any other project costs, to maintain profitability for every project.
- Cultivate and maintain healthy working relationships with key vendors (architects, civil engineers), allowing the company to diversify relationships; negotiate with vendors and third parties to secure contracts that are advantageous for the company by being at or below budget expectations.
- Collaborate with the VP of Construction to proactively review site plans and implement strategies that promote value engineering.
- Collaborate with the VP of Construction to strategize globally and put multiple deals together to save costs and gain synergy.
- Maintain the accuracy of all project schedules and develop procedures to ensure schedules are consistently updated, and delivery dates are met.
Operational Excellence & Team Management:
- Manage the roles and responsibilities of the Development teams while ensuring high-level strategy is delegated and implemented.
- Develop and implement training procedures that yield highly performing teams while putting support systems in place that reduce the “trial by fire” mentality.
- Support the Red Team weekly meetings when necessary and perform 1:1s with team leads bimonthly to provide a consistent and clear feedback and training loop.
- Maintain healthy project load across teams to ensure efficiency and reduce team member attrition due to burnout.
- Create a team culture of support, cooperation, and fluid communication while reinforcing the SimonCRE core values; understand that adaptation and critical thinking must be constants.
- Utilize, manage, and maintain DealforceCRE as a project management tool for the execution of projects.
- Adopt, encourage, and facilitate the use of Asana throughout the team leveraging its functionalities including task management, project tracking, and team collaboration.
- Collaborate with the CEO and executives to develop strategies to ensure the organization has the resources needed to achieve its current and future goals.
Internal Communication and Professional Growth:
- Perform 1:1s with the CEO monthly to discuss mission critical problems.
- Perform 1:1s with the VP of Construction and team leads bimonthly.
- Perform 1:1s with an outside leadership consultant monthly to develop management skills and discuss operation weaknesses and opportunities.
- Read books or articles (from reputable sources) monthly on professional growth, project management, communication, and any other skillsets required to lead the team.
- Develop SOPs to ensure budgets at onset are updated with the latest learnings from recent projects.
- Collaborate with the VP of Construction to ensure the Devcon Department operates as one team.
- Integrate the Property Management team within the Development and Construction agenda to allow for a seamless tenant handoff.
To be successful in this position, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must possess excellent communication skills and exchange information with others accurately.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Exceptional organization in managing time with the ability to prioritize multiple projects simultaneously and meet strict deadlines.
The ideal candidate should have a positive, can-do attitude and…
- Be First. Be Fast. Persist. Plain and simple: we’re responsive, quick to action, and we tirelessly fight through everyday challenges.
- Do More. Be More. We believe that if we’re not exceeding expectations, we’re not doing enough. On every level, we do more because that’s how we’re wired.
- Be Direct. Show Respect. We’re straight shooters when it comes to our clients and team. Honesty and respect go a long way in the world of business. And life.
- Be Flexible. Embrace Change. Every day is a new day with new challenges. We know that’s just how the world works. So, we’re always prepared to adapt in order to succeed.
- Be Inspired. Be Proud. We’re motivated to do work that inspires us. We have pride and passion in everything we do.
- Say It. Own it. Accountability is key here at SimonCRE. So, we say what we mean and do what we say.
- Dream Up. Team Up. We dream big and work together to make things happen. Around here we KNOW teamwork makes the dream work.
- Be Helpful. Build Trust. When people think of us, we want them to think of a company that is nothing but helpful.
Supervisory Responsibilities- Yes. This individual is responsible for accomplishing company objectives by supervising the staff, organizing, and monitoring work processes.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- General office environment.
- Occasionally works in outdoor weather conditions.
- Occasionally works in construction environment conditions.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position for long periods of time.
- Minimal lifting and carrying up to 25 pounds.
- Occasionally move about the exterior and interior of properties.
Travel Required- Occasional travel within the United States.
Required Education, Experience, Licenses
- 15 years of experience in development.
- 10 years of experience in commercial real estate.
- Experience with surveys, environmental reports, site planning and entitlements.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office including Word and Excel as well as calendar management and general technology.
- Experience with CAD is a plus.
- Experience with Mac iOS is a plus.
- Valid Driver’s License.
SimonCRE provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.