The Controller is responsible for the recording of financial activity related to the development, construction, acquisition, and disposition of all properties. This individual must manage entities for the life of all projects in an accurate and timely manner while working alongside the CFO and accounting staff.
Essential Duties – Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
- Review daily cash balances of all LLCs
- Perform daily banking including deposits, wires, and transfers
- Recognize when outstanding items are due from tenants, general contractors, and utility companies
- Reconcile mortgage balances
- Ascertain when commissions and outstanding invoices are due
- Ensure the accuracy of vendor W-9s as received
- Submit applications for EINs in a timely manner
- Apply for new TPT licenses as needed
- Renew TPT licenses annually
- Pay monthly TPT for all rental properties
- Prepare prorations for rent, CAM, and real estate taxes for settlement statements
- Ensure property tax statements for each entity is received and submit for payment, obtain payment receipt from treasurer websites
- Audit property tax prorations if calculated on an estimated amount for sold properties
- Reconcile due to/from accounts on a monthly basis
- Create reports and distribute to partners monthly
- Reconcile all LLC bank accounts monthly
- Evaluate entity balance sheets on a monthly basis and adjust accounts as needed
- Interact with bankers regarding financial information provided
- Review settlement sheets
- Maintain the property tax spreadsheet on a regular basis
- Examine and coordinate tax returns including K-1s
- Prepare state tax forms when applicable
- Respond to correspondence from various tax authorities and banks
- Formulate various calculations and furnish entity financial information to the CEO as requests are received
- Reconcile loan payoffs
- Assist with collecting information for the purchase and sale of projects
- Prepare and distribute 1099s for all entities annually
- Calculate real estate tax prorations for settlement statements and rent prorations when applicable
- Apply for city and state licenses as needed
- Reconcile NNN expenses and bill tenants as required by leases
- Manage CEO personal finances
- Reconcile CEO bank accounts
- Assist with processing construction draws on a regular basis
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must possess excellent communication skills and exchange information with others accurately.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Exceptional organization in managing time with the ability to prioritize multiple projects simultaneously and meet strict deadlines.
The ideal candidate should have a positive, can-do attitude and…
- Be First. Be Fast. Persist. Plain and simple: we’re responsive, quick to action, and we tirelessly fight through everyday challenges.
- Do More. Be More. We believe that if we’re not exceeding expectations, we’re not doing enough. On every level, we do more because that’s how we’re wired.
- Be Direct. Show Respect. We’re straight shooters when it comes to our clients and team. Honesty and respect go a long way in the world of business. And life.
- Be Flexible. Embrace Change. Every day is a new day with new challenges. We know that’s just how the world works. So, we’re always prepared to adapt in order to succeed.
- Be Inspired. Be Proud. We’re motivated to do work that inspires us. We have pride and passion in everything we do.
- Say It. Own it. Accountability is key here at SimonCRE. So, we say what we mean and do what we say.
- Dream Up. Team Up. We dream big and work together to make things happen. Around here we KNOW teamwork makes the dream work.
- Be Helpful. Build Trust. When people think of us, we want them to think of a company that is nothing but helpful.
Supervisory responsibilities- Yes. This individual is responsible for accomplishing department objectives by supervising the staff, organizing, and monitoring work processes.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- General office environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position for long periods of time
- Minimal lifting and carrying up to 25 pounds
Travel Required- None
Required Education, Experience, Licenses
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or business, required
- Three years of commercial real estate or general contractor experience
- Proficient with Yardi, QuickBooks, and Microsoft Office including Word and Excel, required
- Experience with Mac iOS is a plus
- Valid Driver’s License
- Competitive pay (Depends on experience)
- Benefits package including PTO, sick time, 8 paid holidays per year, health insurance, a company-paid life insurance policy, short term and long term disability options, and pet insurance
- 401k match up to 5%
- Eligibility to participate in the Simon Shares employee equity program
- An exciting work environment that is fun and entrepreneurial… company lunches, team building activities, a relaxed dress code and half day Fridays
- New modern office building with a gym in the basement
SimonCRE provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.